Skip navigation

or "the real deal"  Show this Post

so the big day arrives… and to be honest I don't recall anything about it until I came to following the surgery!  I can only share what my wife wrote in summary of the day "as she experienced it" – her words in blue:
At 10 am the anaesthetist met with Mo and I as he was going into the operating room and described the procedure for epidural (injected into the spine) morphine for pain control. Instead of the expected 3 day infusion, he said he would be giving him a single injection just before surgery that would provide pain relief for 24 hours. Mo is also receiving other pain medications through his IV postoperatively and seems quite comfortable.
Now what had I ever done to this poor anaesthetist, that made him decide to only provide me with a single injection expected to last 24 hours instead of a constant infusion for 3 days?  See what I mean about the "brownies"!  The truth is that the very first thing I remember from that day was waking in the recovery room (or maybe it was my own room) in the most incredible amount of pain I had ever experienced – by a huge margin.  The first nurse to notice that I was awake, asked something really silly like "well, how are you"?  My only response – thru a mouth full of cotton balls, was – "it hurts"!  I have no clue what it actually sounded like to her, but that's what I was trying to say – and I'm sure I repeated it until it was understood.
That single injection – expected to give me 24 hour pain relief had obviously run out of juice prior to me even awaking from the surgery.  And yes, they had to give me additional meds via IV… starting with Toradol, which I apparently turned out to be very allergic to!  I didn't have an anaphylactic reaction, but I did feel violently nauseated and broke out in hives as soon as it began to be administered.  Fortunately, it was caught almost immediately and switched to morphine – which as much as I can recall, must have helped, as things did settle down after that.
The surgery itself went without complications. The surgeon felt that the cancer was confined to the prostate and did not see evidence of local spread. This however will need to be confirmed when the pathology report is complete. Another positive note – there was very little blood loss (only 400 cc and so Mo did not require a transfusion, although he still has his unit banked if his hemoglobin should be down tomorrow.
Again, I don't remember any of it, but this was information that was at least shared with my wife and she was able to pass along to those following her on twitter  (oops, wasn't developed until 4 years later) – uhhmmm post on her facebook page (sorry that wasn't around yet either) – send out to our family and friends email distribution lists.  And it was a good thing there were some caveats mentioned…
One of the other "little" things that I should have mentioned in my "prep" list yesterday… someone really needs to go into a very detailed discussion about what it's going to be like having a catheter as a companion for the next few weeks – AND even more importantly, but directly related – why you need to have a catheter following a radical prostatectomy!  This is a discussion that deserves it's very own post, somewhere not too far down the road.
but right now, ask Nurse Rachette to bump that morphine drip just a bit and…. ahhhhh…. that's the ticket…. back to sleep… while my pee drips down a 40 foot tube into a clear bag hanging at the side of my bed blush

One Comment

    • Tim Shirley
    • Posted 2014-11-14 at 23:59
    • Permalink

    Alright. Haven't grown a 'stash/beard' for 28 years. Darn due. Great cause!

Comments are closed.